Thursday, October 26, 2006

Autumn Skies

I'm guessing I'm like most people and go through life moving from one task to another. When I get particularly busy, I can develop tunnel vision only noticing that which is right in front of me. Twice in the past two weeks I've been graciously pulled out of such narrow focus.

Both instances had to do with the color of the sky. Just a week ago, I was turning the corner to go down our third floor stairs and I happened to glance up at the typically boring view of the back of my neighbors' homes. It was about 6:00 PM and the sun was hitting the trees behind the tall narrow houses so that they looked as if they were on fire. I yelled down to Chad and he came running with the camera. We both climbed out onto our 3rd floor deck to admire the colors and take pictures. Of course, they don't do justice to the beauty. They don't even come close but they at least serve as a reminder.

And again, just yesterday I was returning from my favorite coffee shop (Coyote Joes near the Capital City mall) and the sky was again lit in golden hues. This time the whole city was golden....even Market Square's steeple.

One of the characters in the movie, American Beauty, says while watching a video of a bag blowing in the wind, "Sometimes there is so much beauty in the world, I feel like I can't take it and my heart is just going to cave in." I know that feeling - when the beauty steals our breath and leaves us utterly powerless. I want such moments to last but the sun sinks over the horizon and the colors change.

I'm thankful for these fleeting moments, however, not only for shocking me out of my task oriented life but for calling me to look more closely for the beauty that surrounds us at every moment.

And on a completely different topic, I recommend the Mocha Monkey at Coyote Joes!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to blogland! I added you to my "Shortlist" so you better keep adding witty musings of a profound and enlightening nature . . . or just cheesy dirty jokes . . . whatever ;-)

10/26/2006 2:30 PM  
Blogger LadyBurg said...

Good idea....dirty jokes. At least I won't run out of things to write about. I'll take my new status on your "Shortlist" very seriously!

10/26/2006 2:38 PM  
Blogger g. travis norvell said...

WOW,

You have your own blog. Grrrreat. (imainge Tony the Tiger doing that.) You were wise to have folk sign up before they can comment, lots of junk if you dont.

Good blogging. I'll be nursing a Sam Adams Light with dinner (meatball subs) with y'all in mind.

Peace

travie

10/26/2006 2:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home